This is a list of the best drawing software and best illustration software, programs and applications for 2017. We have also categorized the drawing programs as per use on a mac or a PC.
If you don’t have time, you can check our best recommendation – Autodesk SketchBook Pro 7 Review on Amazon
No matter the type of art that you make, there is tremendous potential for digital art in today’s world. To ensure that your work genuinely reflects your art and creativity, you need a drawing software to edit the photographs you have, change and modify sketches and even if required make art from the beginning.
There are many free drawing types of software out there. But none of them really give you the level of quality required for professional digital work.
We have reviewed drawing programs that have a wide array of powerful tools and features that you want. We have also made sure to keep in mind value for money while reviewing the various digital drawing softwares in 2017.
If you have Windows as your OS then you will have definitely used or seen MS Paint. MS Paint is a great program for basic designers but for a professional or an aspiring professional it’s tools and features are very basic.
On the other had most of the high end designing tools like CAD etc by Adobe and Corel are overkill. They focus on very specific tasks and are not great in terms of value for money.
We have reviewed the best drawing software in the market in 2017. We have focused on quality, features, tools and price. Make sure that you get the best out of this article.
- 1 Best drawing software in 2017
- 2 Autodesk SketchBook Pro 7 Review
- 3 Clip Studio Paint Pro Review
- 4 Best Drawing Software for Graphic Tablets
- 5 Best Drawing Software for Beginners
- 6 Best Digital Painting Software Brush
Best drawing software in 2017
So here is our list of best drawing software of 2017:
Autodesk SketchBook Pro 7 Review
Autodesk SketchBook Pro 7 Review: Autodesk SketchBook Pro 7 is definitely one of the best drawing software of 2017.
- All the other softwares may have better advantages at certain specific applications and functions, but the Autodesk SketchBook Pro 7 is hands down the best for drawing.
- It’s very simple and and has easy to use features. It has the functionality and potential to do various things with its advanced features.
- I can confidently say that it has almost every tool that you would need at a professional level. It also manages to be simple and sleek for beginners.
- Autodesk SketchBook Pro 7 is a tool made for everyone who enjoys drawing. It has a natural drawing experience of the quintessential pencil tool, the new Perspective interesting Guides, the fun Flipbook, an enhanced layer editor which has new blending modes, gradient flood fills, and the all-new SketchBook Pro which is available for both Windows and Mac. It is an essential program for digital artists of every skill level.
- It has an easy-to-use and highly customizable interface. The tools are easily accessible and the user always has convenient and quick access to the power and high flexibility of the program.
- Everyone who enjoys drawing can open their potential creativity with the awesome power of the SketchBook Pro.
- SketchBook Pro is designed to work well with pen input devices like Wacom Intuos and Cintiq products and also with Windows tablet devices.
- Simple and easy to use.
- Has a lot of advanced features
- It is a single version on mac and PC
- Free account that includes six colour swatches, six standard brushes and a colour picker and no layers
- Monthly plan and direct buy
- Manga Studio 5 is better for comic drawings
- Its better for creating art rather than photo manipulation
Clip Studio Paint Pro Review
Clip Studio Paint Pro Review:
- Clip Studio Paint Pro from the can also be considered a best drawing software or drawing program.
- It is a complete all-in-one solution for very stunning, easy and ready-to-publish series and comics.
- I love that the Clip Studio Paint has a fantastic array of features. It is one of the most versitile digital artwork in the market today. It combines th tools like photoshop and its own comic creating list of tools with the stabilization and brush features of Sai.
- Another excellent point about the Clip Studio Paint Pro is that it has pressure curves so you can make changes in the way your program and tablet interact with eact other. So for non Wacom users, you can just modify the pressure sensitivity so you dont have to press too hard on the tablet.
- The interface is a bit difficult to use at the start.
- The brush presets navigation too is a bit difficult
It has a very low price point at the moment so it is a STEAL at its price. You can also pick up Ray Frenden’s brush pack while you are at it.
Another advantage of the Clip Studio Paint is that you can save the $10/- on Photoshop.
Since it is a very diverse program you can use it for a variety of things including advertisment design and comic creation.
Best Drawing Software for Graphic Tablets
- Both the software that I have reviewed is great for supporting graphic tablets.
- You can create amazing comics, graphics and illustrations via your digital drawing pad.
- The great thing of software that supports graphic tablets is that you can easily add elements to the drawings via the software.
- You can have your illustrations colored, have your comics animated, give your images depth via shadows and lighting patterns, and create art that looks like 3D renderings, oil-painted canvasses and watercolors.
- Of all the drawing softwares that I checked, there were many good ones. But the best that we found for a graphic tablet is the Xara Photo & Graphic Designer.
Xara Photo & Graphic Designer Review
- Xara Photo & Graphic Designer has a slider which allows you to take out the ridges and bumps which are there from freehand drawings. This helps your drawing have smooth lines.
- Xara Photo & Graphic Designer has features and tools of a level which is of an expert. Yet it is very easy to you.
- The learning curve on this software is very small and you can use it immediately as it is very easy to understand and work with
Best Drawing Software for Beginners
Many software programs out there are complex and confusing. If you are a beginner the best thing to do is get an easy-to-use software which you can work with fast. You can get the best and most expensive software which has amazing features, but if you don’t know who it needs to be used, it won’t be of any use.
The easiest drawing software we have come across so far is there Real Draw Pro. It has so many ways that you can use it. The mother company MediaChance has great video tutorials on how to use the more complex features like creating liquid vectors, etc. It also has an excellent FAQ page and you have good support from their customer support.
Corel Painter Essentials Review
Corel Painter Essentials is a great choice for a new user as it gives excellent support. There is a he resource library to draw from since it is so frequently used. There are thousands of videos on Youtube which can help. It has a user guide in digital mode. There are online forums where people discuss and help each other out.
There software programs can give you all the tools which you can use to create great digital art even as a beginner.
Corel Painter Essentials is a version of Corel’s Painter professional application. It is scaled down in features so that you can avail only the ones which are essential to you. This is great for a newbie. The Painter Essentials is an excellent place to start your journey.
You can create professional art without needing to pay too much for the software. It doesn’t have a lot of expert level features but I prefer it that way as then a beginner won’t get overwhelmed. The best thing obviously is that it is inexpensive as compared to most drawing softwares on the market.
Check the price on Amazon
Best Digital Painting Software Brush
Digital painting software generally provides a lot of tools and brushes. These brushes imitate dry and wet techniques. Most frequent in the wet paint tools are sponges, airbrushes, oils and watercolors.
The main brushes and tools in the dry technique are mostly charcoal, chalk, pens and pencils. Many software programs also give you the option of combing them to create a better effect.
The Pixarra TwistedBrush does an excellent task in making sure that the drawings you create have a look and feel of a real painting made by oil. The Sketchbook reviewed above is great for the pen and paper look.
The Pixarra TwistedBrush programs like the Paint and the Pro Studio has great features. It has a wide range of brushes and tools. This helps a lot in projects of digital art. Pixarra TwistedBrush also hads a list of advanced features and tools which are customized so that your art gets a personalized look.
Drawing software will be of immense help for you to improve your technique with digital media and help you maximize your graphic design potential and expertise.
Using the various tools and features in the sketching programs will give you a good taste of the multiple capabilities of professional-grade great art software.
With drawing and sketch software, you can improve your artistic skills tremendously and elevate your understanding of digital art immensely.